Week 2: Omaha System Case Study & Home Visiting
Go to Omaha System Case Studies: https://www.omahasystem.org/casestudies
The case studies are listed at the bottom of the page (Emma, Janice, Francis, Bill, John, Julie, Tamika, or Joe). Choose one of the case studies and use your textbooks and other resources to answer the following questions:
1. What key criteria will the PHN need to consider for a successful first visit?
2. How will the PHN establish and maintain professional boundaries?
3. What is an ethical challenge that the PHN may encounter with the client?
4. How does the scope of PHN practice guide the responsibilities of the public health nurse in the chosen case study?
5. Identify key communication skills to assure respectful interaction with the client.
6. Describe the components of the nursing process in the planned home visit?
7. Identify components of a Family Assessment that could be used to assess this individual/family (refer to Family Assessment tools used in Nurs 362).
8. Identify priority problems for this individual/family.
9. Identify a plan and nursing interventions for this individual/family. Expand on what was written in the case study.
10. Identify a plan to evaluate the problem outcome.Public/Community Health
and Nursing Practice
CARING FOR POPULATIONS
7711_FM_i-xviii 21/08/19 11:08 AM Page i
and Nursing Practice
CARING FOR POPULATIONS
Christine L. Savage, PhD, RN, FAAN
Johns Hopkins University School of Nursing
7711_FM_i-xviii 21/08/19 11:08 AM Page iii
F. A. Davis Company
1915 Arch Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Copyright © 2020 by F. A. Davis Company
Copyright © 2020, 2016 by F. A. Davis Company. All rights reserved. This book is protected by copyright. No part of it may
be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying,
recording, or otherwise, without written permission from the publisher.
Printed in the United States of America
Last digit indicates print number: 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
Publisher, Nursing: Terri Wood Allen
Senior Content Project Manager: Elizabeth Hart
Digital Project Manager: Kate Crowley
Design and Illustration Manager: Carolyn O’Brien
As new scientific information becomes available through basic and clinical research, recommended treatments and drug
therapies undergo changes. The author(s) and publisher have done everything possible to make this book accurate, up to
date, and in accord with accepted standards at the time of publication. The author(s), editors, and publisher are not responsible
for errors or omissions or for consequences from application of the book, and make no warranty, expressed or implied, in
regard to the contents of the book. Any practice described in this book should be applied by the reader in accordance with
professional standards of care used in regard to the unique circumstances that may apply in each situation. The reader is ad-
vised always to check product information (package inserts) for changes and new information regarding dose and contraindi-
cations before administering any drug. Caution is especially urged when using new or infrequently ordered drugs.
Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Data
Names: Savage, Christine L., author.
Title: Public/community health and nursing practice : caring for populations
/ Christine L. Savage.
Other titles: Public health science and nursing practice
Description: 2nd edition. | Philadelphia : F.A. Davis Company,  |
Preceded by: Public health science and nursing practice / Christine L.
Savage, Joan E. Kub, Sara L. Groves, 2016. | Includes bibliographical
references and index.
Identifiers: LCCN 2019007149 (print) | LCCN 2019008721 (ebook) | ISBN
9780803699878 (ebook) | ISBN 9780803677111 (pbk.)
Subjects: | MESH: Public Health Nursing | Community Health Nursing | Health
Planning | Population Characteristics
Classification: LCC RT97 (ebook) | LCC RT97 (print) | NLM WY 108 | DDC
LC record available at https://lccn.loc.gov/2019007149
Authorization to photocopy items for internal or personaN482W Calendar Spring 2023 – 8 Week 1st Session
Due Sunday by 11:59pm in assignment dropbox (unless otherwise specified)
Introduction to Public Health Nursing
Savage (2020) Chapters 1 & 2
Schoon et al. (2019) Chapter 1 & 2
Review resources in content area
Watch N482W orientation video
Public Health Nursing Online Orientation Training link:
Foundation for public health nursing
Watch the orientation and experiential learning videos located in the content area under “Course Orientation & Experiential Learning Assignment Videos.”
Assignment & Quiz:
1. Online Public Health Nursing Certificate [see syllabus p. 16; scan or take a screen shot and upload to D2L]
2. Quiz 1 (online)
3. Read and reply to the discussion titled RN-BS Program Academic Honesty Pledge & Waiver
Week 1: Group Discussion
1. Help your classmates get to know you as a person, nurse, and community member. Share yourself–For example, where do you work? If someone were to visit your town or your state for the first time, what are your top two recommendations of things to do, places to eat, or sights to visit? Tell us about your family. What are your future nursing goals? Tell us about your local community.
2. Complete a draft of your potential experiential learning assignment preparation worksheet and attach to your discussion post. If you are having difficulty identifying activities, ask your peers for suggestions. This is only the first week, so your draft worksheet may change and will most likely be updated. So, don’t panic if your draft has “holes” in it. This discussion will help you start to think about your experiential learning.
Note: All group discussions are asynchronous in D2L. The initial post is due by midnight, Wednesday and responses to at least two of your group members by midnight, Sunday. Refer to the discussion grading rubric on p. 6 of the syllabus for further guidelines.
Applying the Nursing Process
Home Visiting Preparation
Schoon et al. (2019) Chapters 3, 5, 6, 8, 10, & 11
Review resources in content area
Select one Omaha Case Study from:
Case studies are listed on right hand side (9 to choose from).
For preparation for home visit (see assignment in content area), consider who you may choose for your home visiting client in your community, an older adult with functional limitations or MCH – prenatal/postpartum family?
1. If your chosen client will likely be an older adult
· Read Savage (2020) Chapter 19 Health Planning for Older Adults
· Visit NIH National Institute on Aging:
2. If your chosen cl
Why Choose Us
- 100% non-plagiarized Papers
- 24/7 /365 Service Available
- Affordable Prices
- Any Paper, Urgency, and Subject
- Will complete your papers in 6 hours
- On-time Delivery
- Money-back and Privacy guarantees
- Unlimited Amendments upon request
- Satisfaction guarantee
How it Works
- Click on the “Place Order” tab at the top menu or “Order Now” icon at the bottom and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
- Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER DETAILS" section.
- Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline, and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
- Click “CREATE ACCOUNT & SIGN IN” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record-keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
- From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.